Measles Vaccine - Symptoms, Cause, Treatment of German measles and
atypical measles syndrome ams
Measles Vaccine Information
Measles, is a highly infectious disease characterized by a pink rash and a respiratory infection. The cause is the rubella virus. Measles is one of the infectious diseases of childhood that causes a skin rash. Measles is caused by a virus. The infection is spread by contact with droplets from the nose, mouth, or throat of an infected person.
German measles is a mild viral illness caused by the rubella virus. It causes a mild feverish illness associated with a rash, and aches in the joints when it affects adults.
Measlesbegins with a bad cold which gets worse as days go on-running nose, dry cough, red watery eyes and fever. After about 4 days the rash appears on the face and then it spreads to the entire body. Measles is accompanied by high fever which continues for 2 to 3 days. Then the child improves rapidly. Though Measles is not a dangerous disease, every child suffering from it should be given very good care and attention, otherwise it may lead to the diseases of the ears or the lungs.
Some Sgns And Symptoms Of Measles
- High fever
- Severe headache
- Backache cough
- sore throat
- red or irritated eyes,
- runny nose
- flat pink or brown rash
- ear infection or pneumonia.
There is no specific treatment of measles, though some children may require supplementation with Vitamin A.
Prevention methods of Measles
- The patient's mouth and nose should be washed several times daily to keep them clean.
- Fomentation should be given to the chest atleast three times a day in case of cough.
- The eyes must be well cared for .and must be.washed frequenyly with cool boric acid solution.
- The patient should be given mild , soft and salt-free and cooling things to eat like curds, oranges, sweet limes, bananas etc.
- The eyes may be sensitive to light and have an irritating discharge. Wash the eyes by wiping with a clean, wet washcloth and avoid rubbing.
- Keep lights dim or the room darkened; sunglasses may also be helpful.